Sorts of hosting services
A hosting service suggests stockpiling and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting vendor. There are different varieties of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's examine these. In that way, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to run a weblog, mail aliases, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by particular hosts, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free file storage solutions are frequently supported by displaying adverts beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a specific interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a totally untrue explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the load between independent stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different website hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some corporations offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you wish to share a large quantity of pics with friends or partners since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will get a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to taking care of your email aliases. Some companies provide web page hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an email solution. If you want to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a web site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can set up email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have difficulty with your site hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to own as many video clips as you would like without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to run a web site. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and email address accounts, upload video files, etc. At ClearHosting.no, for example, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one location. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse compared to the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are conceived for specific content only.